One of most important things that individuals can do is to simply use less plastic bags, this means:
- don’t take a bag when you’re only purchasing one or two items
- bring a reusable bag to the store whenever you shop
- encourage your friends to do the same
Also, individuals can encourage more wide-spread support of plastic bag reduction by:
- learning about the harms that plastic bags cause – and telling your friends
- encouraging local businesses to switch from plastic bags to 100% recycled paper bags
- contacting your city council to encourage them to adopt a local plastic bag ban or fee
- Attend a hearing on a local plastic bag law and express your support! See our Events page for a list of local hearings.
We are available for consulting for local bag ordinance campaigns – we have the experience to help you get your community started on this issue effectively.