The focus of plasticbaglaws.org has switched to New York City & since Californians Against Waste does a great job of keeping up on local ordinances, we will no longer be keeping a separate detailed list online.
See CAW’s Local Ordinances page for the most updated information.
The most frequently accessed ordinances and CEQA documents are listed below – this is not a complete list.
Sample Ordinances & CEQA Documents
City & County of San Francisco (CatEx)
Town of Fairfax
- Fairfax’s ordinance, an initiative approved by the voters on 11/4/08 (voter-approved initiatives do not fall under CEQA)
City of San Jose (EIR)
- single-use bag ordinance, adopted 12/14/10
- ban on plastic, 10-cent charge on paper that increases to 25 cents
Marin County (CatEx)
- single-use bag ordinance, adopted 1/25/11
- ban on plastic, 5-cent charge on paper
City of Manhattan Beach (NegDec)
Adopted Bans (invalidated after lawsuits)
City of Oakland – see litigation section for details
- plastic bag ban, adopted 7/17/07