The Hewitt School and Green Schools Alliance are hosting a city-wide conference this Saturday, March 1, 2014 from 10am to 2pm at The Hewitt School, 45 East 75th Street, NYC.
The conference is open to all NYC middle and high school students, called Students Take On Plastic Bags (S.T.O.P. Bags). This unique student-led conference will feature a keynote address by Ron Gonen, NYC Deputy Commissioner for Recycling and Sustainability.
The conference will also feature Manhattan Borough President, Gale Brewer, as a special speaker and guest judge. Additional judges include:
- Lisa Bloodgood (Community Liaison & Environmental Advisor for CM Stephen Levin, Dist. 33)
- Eric Goldstein (Natural Resources Defense Council)
- Ya-Ting Liu (NY League of Conservation Voters)
- Saleen Shah (Citizens Committee for NYC)
Special mentor/student “coaching” sessions will be offered by noted environmental advocates for all student attendees. Some of these “coaches” include:
- Lily Belanger (Program Director, No Impact Project)
- Jordan Christensen (Citizens Campaign for the Environment)
- Tim Clare (Surfrider Foundation)
- Ashel Eldridge (environmental educator and entertainer)
- Gala Narezo (Activist and Plastic Bag Mandela Artist)
- Veronique Pittman (Green Schools Alliance)
- Eadaoin Quinn (Education Coordinator for SIMS Municipal Recycling)
- Jennie Romer (environmental lawyer and founder of plasticbaglaws.com)
- Leslie Mintz Tamminen (Ocean Program Director, 7th Generation Advisors)
- Logan Welde (Staff Attorney, Clean Air Council of Philadelphia)
The conference seeks to empower middle and high school students on how to speak with their respective council member and how to testify before city council about the upcoming plastic bag legislation. The conference will conclude with a student competition for the best one-minute testimonial/presentation, and a performance of “Plastic State of Mind” by educator, rapper, emcee, producer, and founder of Earth Amplified, Ash-El Eldridge.
Click here for more information and to register.
Click here for the press release.